Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Project One

I learned in this project that it is not just about what we read but how we read it. You must break down the art of reading and see all the different responses our body has. The combination of imagery with writing forces the body to break the page apart into image and word. When you can combine the two, you will have a greater impact on the body.
I wanted to achieve with this project a sense of movement with the text. I wanted the implied movement from the image to reflect the movement as the text appears. Imagine the text as a fly line in motion through the air. As each section appears that is a stage of casting the line. This continues until the line lands softly on the waters surface.
The colors I chose for the text are meant to represent the colors of the rivers and of the fish. I hoped that they would reflect those colors from the image and also give a perceived idea of the colors found on a rainbow trout.
A big part of inspiration came from the Cummings poem; “r-p-o-p-h-e-s-s-a-g-r” my text is not reversed or jumbled it has movement, which may make the piece harder to follow. In Cummings’s poem, the movement of the text seems to me like it could imply a leap from the grasshopper.
The kinesthetic involved in viewing my project is the use of inner sight and inner speech. The viewer will first see the image and start to imagine a dialogue that would accompany it. Then as the text appears, the viewer will be reading the text while trying to connect it with the image in the background.
I got the quote for my project from FlyFishingJoy.com. Charles Kuralt wrote the quote and I took the photograph. I thought that the image included some of the key points of the quote. I hope that the viewer will be able to understand the link between the text and the image.

No comments: