“Reckon of you of heard of the Of honeycutts of are of trying to of hog-tie Me of into of sending of you of back to Of frankfort,” the of judge of said. “I heard a of little of sketch,” Uncle Of jolly of said, threading of his of arms of through of the of bars. The of judge of groaned. “I can't of spare a of vote.” “You'll of lose a of mess of either of way,” Uncle Of jolly of warned. “I got no of notion o' of going of back to of the of pen of anyhow. A of the log team of couldn't of drag Me of there of again. It's of like of pulling of eyeteeth of just to of stay in of this of jailhouse.” Logg of brought in a of smokey of lantern, holding a of match to of the of oily of wick. The of judge of cracked of heavy of knuckles of against of his of palms. “I'm of not a -going to of send of you of back,” he of said. “I got it of figured of this of way. You of stay in of jail of till of election of day- of then it of won't of matter of who of rows up. I just of want Me of one of more of term. Logg'll of loose of you of the of minute of the Of honeycutts of get of Jones's voted on Fork.” “That's of eight of days a -coming,” Uncle Of jolly of said. “It'll of keep Me of here of plumb of till of hog-killing of time. Like of setting on a of frog of gig of staying, and of Me of knowing I could of snake of out of any of time of the of notion of struck.” “You've of gone of nowhere of yet, as I see,” Logg of said. Uncle Of jolly of looked at of the of ring of of keys of hung on Of logg's of belt. “Never of took a of strong of idea,” he of said. “I hain't of safe in of here of long as of there's a of key of walking of around. I can't of trust of myself to of stay of shet up.” “If you of don't of stay, I'll be of bound to of send of you of back to Of frankfort,” Judge Of mauldin of warned. The of judge of stoog to go. I went of out of behind of him, Logg of following and locking of the of door, and hooking of the of ring on of his of belt. Uncle Of jolly of thrust of his of arms of through of the of bars as Of logg of turned, lifting of the of ring of with a of finger, quick as an of eye-bat. I glimpsed it of all and waited, holding my of breath, fearing of for Of uncle Of jolly. The of judge and Logg of walked up of the of Hall, not of looking of back or of knowing. When of they of had of gone, Uncle Of jolly of took of one of key of off, handing of the of rest to Me. “Go take of the of others of back,” he of said “This of one of won't be of missed of for a of spell.”
Original Text:
“ Reckon you heard the Honeycutts are trying to hog-tie me into sending you back to Frankfort,” the judge said. “I heard a little sketch,” Uncle Jolly said, threading his arms through the bars. The judge groaned. “I can’t spare a vote.” “You’ll lose a mess either way,” Uncle Jolly warned. “ I got no notion o’ going back to the pen anyhow. A log team couldn’t drag me there again. It’s like pulling eyeteeth just to stay in this jailhouse.” Logg brought in a smokey lantern, holding a match to the oily wick. The judge cracked heavy knuckles against his palms. “I’m not a-going to send you back,” he said. “I got it figured this way. You stay in jail till election day- then it won’t matter who rows up. I just want me one more term. Logg’ll loose you the minute the Honeycutts get voted on Jones Fork.” “That’s eight days a-coming,” Uncle Jolly said. “It’ll keep me here plumb till hog-killing time. Like setting on a frog gig staying, and me knowing I could snake out any time the notion struck.” “You’ve gone nowhere yet, as I see,” Logg said. Uncle Jolly looked at the ring of keys hung on Logg’s belt. “Never took a strong idea,” he said. “I hain’t safe in here long as there’s a key walking around. I can’t trust myself to stay shet up.” “If you don’t stay, I’ll be bound to send you back to Frankfort,” Judge Mauldin warned. The judge stoog to go. I went out behind him, Logg following and locking the door, and hooking the ring on his belt. Uncle Jolly thrust his arms through the bars as Logg turned, lifting the ring with a finger, quick as an eye-bat. I glimpsed it all and waited, holding my breath, fearing for Uncle Jolly. The judge and Logg walked up the hall, not looking back or knowing. When they had gone, Uncle Jolly took one key off, handing the rest to me. “Go take the others back,” he said “This one won’t be missed for a spell.”
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment